… for Apple Final Cut Pro X
Tip #065: Faster Ways to Apply an Effect
Dragging is easy, but these tricks are quicker.
Normally, to apply an effect, you open the Effects Browser (shortcut: Cmd + 5), then drag the effect on top of the clip you want to add it to in the Timeline.
Works great. Takes forever.
Here are two variations that are faster.
- Select one or more clips in the Timeline. (The real time-savings with this technique come when need to apply the same effect to multiple clips.) The clips can be located anywhere in the Timeline.
- Open the Effects Browser and find the effect you want to apply to ALL the selected clips.
- Double-click the effect to instantly apply it to all selected clips.
- Select a Timeline clip that has the effect you want to apply to other clips.
- Choose Edit > Copy.
- Select all the other clips in the Timeline to which you want to apply this effect.
- Choose Edit > Paste Effects. This pastes ALL the effects attached to the first clip into the selected clips
- Choose Edit > Paste Attributes. This allows you to select which of the effects applied to the first clip are applied to the selected clips.
Please rate the helpfulness of this tip.
Click on a star to rate it!