… for Apple Motion
Tip #154: 3D Transform Tool Adds Perspective
Larry Jordan – https://LarryJordan.com
On-screen controls allow faster element manipulation.
There are two ways to add perspective to any element in Motion: The Inspector and the 3D Transform tool. To enable the 3D Transform tool, click the icon to the immediate right of the Arrow tool that looks like a wire globe.
When you select an element in the Layers panel, a white wireframe box appears around it. Inside are three circles and three color arrows. The secret code is R – G – B.
- R (Red) – Makes adjustments on the horizontal axis
- G (Green) – Makes adjustments on the vertical axis
- B (Blue) – Makes adjustments to and from the viewer (camera); the Z-axis.
For example, dragging the green arrow slides the shape vertically.
But, the real secret is in the three white circles. These create rotation.
- Left circle. Rotates on the vertical axis. (It displays a green line.)
- Top circle. Rotates on the Z-axis. (It displays a blue line.)
- Right circle. Rotates on the horizontal axis. (It displays a red line.)
By selecting the 3D Transform tool and dragging these six controls, you can quickly and intuitively adjust the position and rotation of any selected element.