… for Visual Effects
Tip #338: How to Create Retro Looks
These can be used in Premiere Pro, After Effects, Final Cut Pro X and Media Composer.
This tip – featuring Red Giant Universe effects – first appeared as part of a YouTube segment from Kelsey Brannan, showing how this can be created in Premiere Pro. However, these effects can be applied in recent versions of Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer, and After Effects, as well.
Select the clips to which you want to apply a retro look.
NOTE: A “retro” look is one that makes your footage look like it was shot years ago, using older technology.
- Search for Universe Stylize in your Effects browser.
- Within the folder, select uni.retrograde
- Inside uni.retrograde, browse the presets to view a selection of 8mm and 16mm scans
- To give a bit more “stuttery” effect to movement, select 18 FPS
- Adjust frame, vignette, grime, and color treatment settings to create a more realistic effect
Here’s the link to Kelsey’s original video.
And here’s the link to learn more about Red Giant Universe.
Please rate the helpfulness of this tip.
Click on a star to rate it!