… for Apple Motion
Tip #1047: Create a Vertical Video Project
Square and vertical video require custom settings in Project > Properties.
Since the beginning of television, video used a horizontal aspect ratio. Since the beginning of cell phone photography and video, mobile users shot vertical video.
Sigh…. Drives all us old-school video people nuts!
Still, you gotta change with the times. Here’s how to create a vertical video project in Motion.
- Create a new project using the Motion Project Browser. Since Motion always creates images at the highest possible quality, it doesn’t matter which setting you pick.
- Once the project opens, select Project in the Layers panel (It’s named “Project.”)
- Enter the Width and Height values, in pixels, of the new project. (These will generally be 720 x 1280 or 1080 x 1920.
- Make sure Pixel Aspect Ratio is set to Square.
- Set the Duration to whatever length you need.
We can’t save project presets, so you’ll need to do this for each project. However, you can save the entire project as a template: File > Publish Template.