… for Apple Motion
Tip #1059: Animate a Line
Write on animates borders attached to lines, paths and paint strokes.
This is a fun and fast way to animate any path, line or paint brush in Motion using the Write On behavior. Even better, you can animate a line to draw, erase, or draw then erase itself. Here’s how this works:
- Using the Pen or Paint Brush tool, draw a path in Motion.
- With the path selected, choose a border from the HUD (Option + Cmd + L) or Inspector > Object. The border needs a width greater than 0.
NOTE: Personally, I prefer applying Shape Styles, but these, too, need a wider border value.
- With the path element still selected in the Layers panel, choose Behaviors > Shape > Write On. This animates the border starting at the beginning of the path.
- Adjust the Offset value to change where drawing the border starts.
This technique is great at creating animated travel lines for a map, or calling attention to a moving object.
- Change the duration of the Write on behavior to change it’s speed.
- Select the Write on behavior, then, in Inspector > Behaviors, change the menu from Draw to Erase. This animates the removal of the border, Or Draw and Erase, which draws it on, then draws it off.
Please rate the helpfulness of this tip.
Click on a star to rate it!