… for Adobe Premiere Pro CC
Tip #1319: Customize a Zoom Cut
The key to making this transition invisible is to find matching colors in the two shots.
A Zoom cut zooms into the middle of a clip, cuts to a second shot, then zooms back out. What you may not know is that this transition can be customized to make it even more effective.
- Apply Effects > Video Transitions > Zoom > Cross Zoom to a transition in the timeline.
NOTE: Any transition needs “handles,” extra media before the In and after the Out, in order to exist.
- Select the transition in the timeline.
- Open the Effect Controls panel and check Show Actual Sources.
- In addition to showing images of the actual timeline clips, these small thumbnails also show two white circles (indicated by red arrows in the screen shot). These white circles define the target of each zoom.
- Drag these “zoom targets” so that they both are on top of reasonably matching colors.
Now, when you zoom, the cut will occur when both shots display similar colors, making the actual transition harder to see and, therefore, more convincing.
Please rate the helpfulness of this tip.
Click on a star to rate it!