… for Codecs & Media
Tip #1610: Add Automated Job Actions in Compressor
Job Actions can trigger an Automator workflow for extensive automation.
Apple Compressor has eight pre-built automation tasks that can be triggered when compression is complete.
- Save the file
- Add to TV Home Videos
- Create a Blu-ray or AVCHD Disc
- Create a DVD
- Open with a specific application
- Prepare for HTTP Live Streaming
- Run Automator Workflow
- Send Email
- Post to YouTube or Facebook
To access these:
- Select a file in the Job list.
- Scroll down in the Job Inspector (top red arrow) to the bottom.
- In the Action menu (bottom red arrow), select what you want Compressor to do when compression is complete.
Most of the time, I simply want Compressor to save a file. However, I used HTTP Live Streaming every week to provide mobile device support for my webinars.
For true flexibility, you can couple Compressor to Automator for significant file processing after compression is complete.