… for Apple Final Cut Pro X
Tip #870: Change the Look of a Dissolve
Add looks to have dissolves contribute to the story you are telling.
I discovered this tip while researching a recent webinar covering the basics of editing in Final Cut Pro X. There are two hidden settings in every cross-dissolve that will change the look of a transition.
- Apply the transition to an edit point.
NOTE: Since this is the default transition, the easiest way to add a dissolve is to select the edit point, then type Cmd + T.
- Select the transition, then go the Inspector (see screen shot). There, you’ll find a dozen different settings in the Look menu that can be applied to any cross-dissolve. Experiment with these to see what they do.
NOTE: Inspector settings vary by transition.
The other option is Ease. This allows you to change the speed of entering and exiting a dissolve based upon the Ease Amount.
- In. Affects the speed at the start of the transition.
- Out. Affects the speed at the end of the transition
- In & Out. Affects both the start and end of the transition.
NOTE: These speed changes are subtle and are only visible for longer transitions; say, two seconds or more.