… for Apple Final Cut Pro X
Tip #1016: Caution: Color Flickering in FCP X 10.4.9
FCP X 10.4.9 seems to create color flickering during grading.
I have received multiple reports this last week from editors reporting color shifts or color flickering when editing camera native media in Final Cut Pro X 10.4.9. This problem did not exist in Final Cut 10.4.8.
As one editor reported:
We have found the following:
- The jumpiness happens as the clip is being color corrected with or without a camera LUT applied
- There is no difference whether the timeline is set to “Better Performance” or “Better Quality;” the color levels still jump around
- Transcoding the media to “proxy” and working with the proxy files eliminates the jumpiness during color correction
I reported the problem to Apple and they are looking at it. For now, until they figure out what’s going on:
- If you haven’t upgraded to 10.4.9, don’t.
- If you have, consider doing your color grades in proxy mode until this issue is resolved.
Please add a comment if you’ve experienced similar problems. I will forward your comments to Apple.
Please rate the helpfulness of this tip.
Click on a star to rate it!