… for Apple Final Cut Pro X
Tip #1074: Timeline Title Secrets
These new timeline menu options provide fast access to common taks.
A new feature in the 10.4.9 update to Final Cut is located at the top of the timeline. But it is not easy to find.
Starting with the 10.4.9 update, when you click, not Control-click, the name of a project displayed at the top-center of the timeline, five new options appear:
- Duplicate project
- Reveal Project in Browser
- Project Properties
- Close [project]
- Close other projects
- Duplicate project copies your project, but does NOT make any compound or multicam clips independent. This is not a good idea. Instead, use Snapshot Project, which is an option available to all projects by Control-clicking the name of a project in the Browser.
- Reveal Project is self-explanatory.
- Project Properties is the same as Window > Project Properties, or typing Cmd + J.
- Close [project] removes it from the timeline (which means it takes up far less memory), but does not remove it from the Browser or Library.
- Close Other Projects closes other open timelines, again releasing the RAM they use, but does not remove them from the Browser or Library. Unless you are switching between different projects, closing projects you are not using is a good idea.
Locating these options at the top of the timeline is an excellent timesaver, except for Duplicate Project, which should be avoided.
Please rate the helpfulness of this tip.
Click on a star to rate it!