… for Apple Motion
Tip #1377: Create a Reflection
Reflections require a reflecting surface and a group that’s switched to 3D.
Philip asked: “How do I create a reflection in Motion?”
By default, all objects in Motion radiate light, meaning they can create a reflection. However, in order to see a reflection, you need a second object that catches the light from the first object and reflects it. THAT setting, to enable reflections, is turned off by default.
To enable reflections:
- Create the object you want to reflect (the heart, in this screen shot)
- Create a surface upon which you want the reflection to appear (the gold rectangle)
- Be sure both objects are in the same group.
- Switch the group from 2D to 3D by clicking the small icon of rectangles on the right of the group name in the Layers panel.
- Select the rectangle.
- Go to Inspector > Properties and enable (check) Reflection.
- Adjust the angle of the rectangle to get the reflection you want.
- Adjust the Inspector settings to get the look you want.
NOTE: 3D Objects do not create reflections.