… for Apple Final Cut Pro X
Tip #1677: Working with Dual-Channel Audio
Final Cut Pro makes handling multi-channel audio easy and very flexible.
Normally, when you import a two-channel audio clip, Final Cut Pro treats it as stereo. But Final Cut makes working with multi-channel audio easy. Here’s how:
- Select the clip in either the Browser or the Timeline.
- Open the Audio Inspector.
- Scroll down to Audio Configuration.
- Click the menu – which, for two-channel clips, should say Stereo – and change it to 2 Mono.
NOTE: In this screen shot, I’m working with a six-channel audio clip, where only the first two channels have audio. Here, I selected “6 Mono.”
Once you see the different channels you can:
- Skim a channel to review it at high-speed
- Click inside a channel, then press spacebar to play just that channel.
- Uncheck a channel to mute it.
Converting a 2-channel Mono clip to Stereo is just as easy: Change the menu from 2 Mono to Stereo.