… for Apple Final Cut Pro X
Tip #440: Secrets of the Range Tool
Ranges make it easy to set and In and Out.
The Range tool (shortcut: R) is one of those tools in Final Cut that could be useful, but isn’t as useful as it could be. Still, it can help you to quickly set an In and Out.
Select the Range tool from the Tool popup menu. Then, drag to select a region in the Timeline. What you’ve just done is set an In and an Out that applies to all layers within that range.
- To change the duration, drag an edge – or –
- Type Control + D and enter the revised duration using timecode
- To cancel the range, type Option + X
The Range tool is very helpful in creating a back-time edit, which covered in Tip #481, or a 3-point edit, which is covered in Tip #482.
- The ability to click in the middle of the range to move it without losing the duration.
- The ability to select and move an edge using the keyboard.
For me, it’s often easier to just use the playhead and set the In and Out manually.