… for Apple Motion
Tip #555: Create Custom Curve Sets in Motion
Custom Curve Sets allow us to see just the parameters we want.
This tip originally appeared as an Apple KnowledgeBase article. This is an excerpt. In Tip #550, we illustrated how to access the default curve set in Apple Motion to see which settings have been modified or animated. However, we can also create our own custom curve set.
In the screen shot, I created a new curve set, then added Position, Scale and Opacity settings to it. This allows me to see just the changes to those key settings for the selected elements for the duration of the Motion project.
In addition to using the built-in curve set views, you can make and manage your own view using the last two options in the Show Curve Set pop-up menu: New Curve Set and Manage Curve Sets. As you create and store custom parameter sets, they appear in the Show Curve Set pop-up menu (at the top of the parameter list in the Keyframe Editor), allowing you to switch between them. Deleting, duplicating, and modifying custom sets is done in the Manage Curve Sets dialog (accessible from the Show Curve Set pop-up menu).
To create a custom curve set:
- In the Keyframe Editor in Motion, click the Show Curve Set pop-up menu, then choose New Curve Set.
- In the dialog that appears, enter a name for the set, then click OK.
- After you create a curve set, you can choose it from the Show Curve Set pop-up menu.
To add parameters to a custom curve set do one of the following:
- After you create a custom curve set, drag a parameter name from any pane in the Inspector into the Keyframe Editor parameter list.
- In the Inspector, click the Animation menu for the parameter, then choose Show in Keyframe Editor.
- The Animation menu (a down arrow) remains hidden until you position the pointer over the far-right side of the parameter row you want to modify.
- The parameter is added to the custom curve set.
To remove a parameter, drag it out of the list.
To delete, duplicate or manage the display order of custom curve sets, select Manage Curve Sets from the Cuve menu.