… for Random Weirdness
Tip #687: Motion Graphics Freelancing Tips
Building a freelance career just takes focus and a willingness to “just get started.”
Recently, MotionArray.com sat down with freelancer Owen Chikazawa, also known as We Wander, to learn his thoughts on how to be a successful freelance motion graphic designer. This is an excerpt.
- Getting Started as a Motion Graphic Freelancer. First off, you don’t have to jump in with both feet. Many artists don’t realize that they can take on a few extra jobs during the evenings or weekends in order to build a strong client base and a portfolio of work.
- Going Freelance Full Time. One thing that is important when jumping into the freelance pool full time is making sure that you have enough money to keep you going through lean times. A common mistake is feeling like you will always be busy and not being financially prepared for downturns.
- How to Get Work & Stay Busy. So how do you do this? Owen adds, “Go to creative meetups and network.” This might seem like common sense, but a lot of people miss this one. They don’t realize the power of networking. Even meeting other artists can lead to work as they may recommend you if they are too busy for a job. Let everyone know what you do and find events that are more likely to bring you work or connections.
He also suggests:
- Be personable and positive
- Continuously develop your craft
The entire interview is worth watching. Use the link at the top of this tip.