… for Visual Effects
Tip #711: 5 Tips for Getting a Job in VFX
Visual effects jobs are everywhere, but so’s the competition. These tips help you get ahead.
This article first appeared in CGSpectrum.com. This is an excerpt.
Visual effects jobs are everywhere. Many movies, TV shows, ads and video games depend on VFX to tell their story. These days, almost every major show out there has some level of VFX. However, VFX is an extremely competitive market, so here are some tips to help you get ahead.
- Go to a school that specializes in visual effects. This is one of the best ways to gain a foothold in this type of career.
- Strive to be the best at your craft.
- Create an amazing showreel of your best work. When applying for visual effects jobs, your showreel will often be the first thing a recruiter sees. Be unique with your showreel, grab the recruiter’s attention and keep it.
- Never stop looking for inspiration. Continue to grow by feeding off your ideas. Don’t be afraid to try new things, they may not always work, but you’ll never know until you investigate them. When things start to get dull, you need to look for things you may have overlooked before.
- Be a great team player. One person can make or break a team. Be conscious of your attitude towards the people around you and what you’re working on. Don’t be afraid to have someone critique your work and vice versa.
The article, linked above, contains videos expanding on these ideas.