… for Apple Final Cut Pro X
Tip #944: Change Library Storage Locations
This option organizes your media, while still keeping it external.
By default, Final Cut Pro X either stores media in the library file, or points to its current storage location somewhere else on your system. But… there’s a third option that may make more sense for your project.
- Select a Library in the Library List.
- In the Inspector, click Modify Settings for Storage Locations.
- Use the Media pop-up menu (see screen shot), to create a new, external, folder to store all files imported into this project.
Files from other locations will be copied into this location.
The benefits to using a custom library folder are:
- Media is still stored outside the library; making it accessible to other projects and applications
- Media is stored in one place, which makes moving libraries, backups, and archives a LOT easier.
- Each Library can have its own custom folder, which simplifies organizing media by project.
- It is still easy to share the same media between projects.
The only downside to this option is that media is copied into this folder, which may increase total storage requirements.